Thursday, May 2, 2013

To love one another or not.


 


Valentine’s Day was a thrill in school.  We all waited at the bus stop with our envelopes of lick sealed envelopes all carefully selected valentines bought from the local grocery store.  It was something new in an otherwise predictable routine.  Our Valentines, as pictured were not commercial save for maybe Peanuts and Snoopy.  In those days, they were created out of the minds of graphic designers with their own unique animal characters coupled with want to be advertisers who thought of the corny quips that made you smile.  In each pack of bought Valentines, there were a few “big” ones, you gave to your favorite friends, some medium ones, and then the small ones left over like those fat sugary black licorice jellybeans that settled on the bottom of your Easter basket in-between the fake plastic grass, the last to be eaten in desperation of sugar and lack of any chocolate. 
Each valentine had little origami folds in order to fit in the standard size mini envelopes.  The night before we “were allowed” to bring them in we would sit at the kitchen table, like Scrooge himself, counting out our “currency”, who would get what Valentine based on how much of a friend they were. Then you would write their first name and last initial on the back of the Valentine,  and again on the envelope.  You felt important with all that new paper, colorful cards and decisions to make. You did this in your own world without any adults telling you what to do. 
We would finally have the “party” towards the end of the day.  You hand your “money” to the banker…the teacher who would then read the names  out loud.  Here’s the cruel part…in those days we did NOT have to give everyone a Valentine, (nice way to show love).  No, we were allowed to portray a real census of who was popular and who was not.  Obviously, the person who received the most was the most popular… childhood logic right?  I myself “ran out of” Valentines but to be sure, I made sure the most popular or the cutest kids were covered first.  In due time,I looked at my desk and counted them, I was in the middle of the class if you were solely counting the number of Valentines received.  I even got a few “big” ones.  I was OK but sitting next to me was a kid named “Moses.”  He didn’t speak very much English, might have been gruff to mask the constant rejection.  We, as a group, would walk up to him and tell him he was NOT supposed to have the name “Moses”  not very Catholic and besides that name was reserved for the real Moses, the one with the tablets and the 10 commandments….who was HE  trying to be walking around with such a name.  That day, he didn’t get ANY Valentines.  He tried to hold it together but then couldn’t contain the embarrassment and he burst into tears.  I regret I didn’t write a Valentine to him, not even a small one.  I participated in a classroom rejection.  I wasn’t sad, honestly only relived it wasn’t me as I stared as the audience of classmates did and watched him experience rejection during this Valentine's Day "party."  The most popular girl, Pammy, who wore long pigtail braids to class every day with matching ribbons, was still opening her Valentines after everyone realized what was happening.  I do remember that Pammy, who also did not give him a fresh Valentine, scribbled off her name from one of her Valentines and gave it to him.  He stopped crying and ended up with 2…used Valentines(the small kind), not bad considering one of them was from Pammy.  He never lived this down.  Even months later, if you got in an argument with him, you had the Excalibur sword of "Who do you think you are? You didn't even get any Valentines."  I participated in being the one to add to somebody else’s sadness and rejection. Years later, I would get a taste of my own medicine.
Fast forward to eighth grade, new student to yet another school to an already long line of changed schools due to constant moving.  It wasn’t Valentine’s Day rejection, we “outgrew” that ritual.  Instead a girl, I’ll call her Marie, had a super large birthday party with EVERYONE invited to it except me and to my amazement, the prettiest girl, Carine.  Carine was naturally beautiful long straight blond hair, down to her waist, pretty clothes, the bluest eyes you ever saw, but surprisingly not much self-confidence.  I think that I had more than she did and I had to overcome the fact that this was a super “Ugly Betty” year for me.  Puberty, bad haircut, blond getting “dirty dishwater blond” braces everywhere, not allowed to shave my legs yet or pluck my eyebrows.  If I wanted to put the cherry on the top to show that I just couldn’t pull it together, I would march up to the schoolyard with brown eye makeup overdone and in all the wrong places to a point where people would ask “What happened to you?”  Just trying to cope, leave me alone, but in all of it I had learned to develop and stick with a few close friends.  Suddenly, here I was coupled in some freak rejection with the most beautiful girl in the class.  Gee, would that mean we might be friends or would she talk to me?  Talk to me she did only to ask if I was going to Marie’s party. “No,” I didn’t care I was going to sleep over another friend’s house from another school.  That was more fun than a party where I wasn’t wanted.  I didn’t mind being uninvited, I told myself already bracing for the inevitable,, only that; “It was NOT justified.”  I never had words with her, she simply did it to embarrass me and single me out.….with Carine :)  Who could be that mad when the rejection earned some weird popularity points by association?  If we were rejected together it would boost my already low status and lack of any popularity points and chip away at her overabundance of pretty popularity points.   It was the talk of the schoolyard.  The dirty deed was done and the following Monday, I was to hear that Carine “crashed” Marie’s party and showed up anyways.  There go my weird bonus points. 
Low. Marie walks up to me in the schoolyard after her “BIG” party.  She had a “BIG” cake, “BIG” presents,..heck, Marie was “BIG” herself.  She walks up to me with her stupid entourage; she was nowhere near as pretty and popular as Carine.  Turns out her little plan backfired on her during her “BIG” party.  Supposedly, as the party wore on and Carine showed up and was not asked to leave, rumor got out that she specifically now excluded one classmate, peer pressure and guilt settled in.  Then her mother found out.  She walks up to me and says “Hi” with her “supportive” friends who wished the whole thing never happened.  She continued somewhat annoyed; “My mother told me to apologize to you because what I did was mean.”  Really?  Don’t go around saying things like that to “Ugly Betty” scorned and embarrassed with nothing to lose.  “Well,” I retorted, “Aren’t you old enough to say your own words?  Why are you still listening to everything you mother tells you to do?  Besides you don’t even say it like you mean it.”  Fierce little “Ugly Betty”  with her bad hemmed school skirt  doesn’t care now that she was  getting a pathetic halfhearted, guilt driven apology you don’t even mean just to look “not so bad.”  But Marie needed to hear those words...uncoated  and real.  Classmates for previous weeks, would ask on my behalf to invite me to no avail.  Now it’s her time to cry, and my rejection had reached my desired result.  They were my words, my feelings, my solution; my mother didn’t even know about the entire party, this was something I had to resolve my way.  I did get into trouble by “making her cry” until the teachers found out the whole story.  None of their business, we needed to resolve our own problems our own way, without adult interference as we were soon to be adults ourselves.  We would be making our own decisions with consequences and accountability.
These are the lessons we learned by our own actions and decisions, right or wrong we needed to learn from them.  How to cope with the teacher that was going to “ride you’re a**” all year, just because or personality differences, you just forged through that year, no analysis was given.   You had to cope and manage. 
In the real work world, you would have some previous experience to draw upon so I do not miss those lessons and they are treasured as stepping stones.  I was a resilient, wiry fighter, who knew that in eighth grade, there wasn’t any use in trying to compete for being in the top half of the class.  Some kind of freedom in that too, the pressure with being popular if that you have to walk around like a politician pleasing people all the time, comb your hair so as not to have it out of place, not saying exactly what you want to say for you might be brought down a few precious pegs. 
Carine was not as resilient as I was and I don’t know if through the years, she ever found the right balance of confidence to match her natural beauty.  I was to find out later she died in her early forties from cirrhosis of the liver from too much drinking.  I remember feeling sad when I found out the news.  I had so wanted to be her once upon a time, the time right before we really stretched our wings, the cusp of adulthood.   The dear little soul has left us and the party really didn’t matter much then, I took care of it, but I wonder was that uninvitation rejection for Carine soon to precede many more, that she wasn’t equipped to handle.  One more unnecessary shove into the bottom of a glass.  We do these things to feel important when in reality we are not special when we push people who are on the rejection line.  I’ve been on both sides of that line and in looking back, it was so cruel.  Life will hand you the lessons, the unfair situations, and in looking at what some people face on a daily basis my “party rejection” was so tiny and insignificant.  Did you hear that Marie?



 
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment